Small update, I’ve refined the padding shape a little, tightened the gaps between the cushions, and fixed alignment issues left and right.
The last picture is the updated high-poly, and I also used blender’s new denoiser for the render so it takes less time (not that it is of any use for the model itself, but hey fancier picture), I need to use this more/remember that it exists.
I also modeled a big chunk of the low-polygon mesh. I haven’t tried rendering my normal maps yet or done any preliminary unwrapping either. This is a bit dense geometry-wise for a piece of structural mesh but it should be very easy to optimize on the lower LODs.
I’m still debating on re-adding the lower hatch on the door. Simply because it means I don’t have to create a texture variant for the door itself and only have to pad the inside 😛
(Well, the hatches also add a lot of visual appeal to the door’s otherwise flat surface)
I have finally decided to start working on a padded cell variant of my modular cell unit.
The design is VERY inspired by the amazing art of tangdraws. Go check his work, it is just that great. Somehow the tan padding has this sort of “Alien” (the movie) vibe?
I’m trying to get a good layout for the padded tiles, none of the internal dimensions of the cell are falling quite “right” to get a perfect grid, so I’m cheating here and there.
The left side of the door still upsets me…
The door itself will probably look like the regular cell door from the outside, without the bottom hatch, but I want to keep the middle hatch to give prisoners a “chance” to escape.
I should make the yearly “post-Christmas sickness” a scheduled task or something because it happens with clock-like predictability.
I’m not dying, at least I don’t think I am, don’t worry. I’ve been taking my meds and resting the last couple of days.
I’m just about to leave to spend a couple of days with relatives. I wish you all happy festivities and will be back very soon~
There will be an update for it very soon to add the non-fitmesh panties/crotch strap that I still need to re-weight properly, but everything else is good and ready for the KDC Micro Bikini release!
And as a bonus, (since this is the season), I’ve added a “candy-cane” red & white strap pattern for no good reason.
The Bikini HUD is almost complete, I wanted to post earlier but I had nothing that I could really showcase.
You can see the options on the attached pictures, it uses my usual “preset script” for colors, and all the menus support multiple pages of options if you really need it as well as RGB entry.
I’ve added one last feature to the material preset system to have, or not have a fine “noise” in the specular map to simulate fabrics like cotton and lycra, or to go for a smooth specular map for things like latex.
I’m including a handful of fun texture options for the panels & the straps.
The past two days have been filled with weight painting mistakes and texture attempts.
Long story short, I ended up shifting the bikini bra lower tie about 2cm down to avoid a specific spot in the back that caused unwanted clipping that no one but me would have noticed. And it led to many, many back and forths where every upload that I thought was final, needed more fixing.
The ribbons & panels can be tinted independently, but I’ve also made some simple texture variants: classic shima-pantsu and a Chinese prison-themed one (because obsessions never go away).
I’ve started writing an over-engineered HUD to go with it with a few handy functions for setting colors, hiding the ties, and setting material properties (it is way too complex for what it does and is still subject to change).
Today has been fairly productive and I managed to complete the large, medium, and small chest options, LOD included. All that remains is the “flat” chest, which will take some “delicate” reshaping to look right.
And yes, rather than stretching the bra with chest sizes I chose to keep it the same size, making it well… really small on the largest Avatar 2.0 chest.
I might try to fit it to the “tit kit” too, but it will depend on how badly the avatar sliders deform it.
There wasn’t a whole lot to weight-paint on the bikini top but I’m slowly getting there, I’ll give it a second pass just to make sure the straps don’t deform too much but it looks about 95% correct just with a simple weight copy.
Something changed on the blender (sans Avastar) .dae exporter which caused me a few issues getting the top to upload at all, but I eventually got it to work.
I am quite happy with the result, there is some minor clipping on the hip ribbons but I’m willing to live with those. This is almost complete, all that is really missing is the 3 other size options, and maybe some kind of color/texture HUD.
I’ve done more thong weightpainting for the past two days…
I thought I was more or less done with the thong but it turns out that I forgot the mapping to account for the belly slider.
If that wasn’t enough, I did not properly test the deformations when both legs are bent (sitting) and it really really looks bad… I am not sure how I’m going to fix it because it looks like that due to the limit of 4 weights per vertex, and to fix this I have to add left and right leg weight on the centerline, which is already affected by the pelvis, torso, and the PELVIS deform bone: That’s 5 weight groups with the legs.
I MIGHT be able to get rid of most of the vertices on that center line but not all of them because the little piece of fabric is triangular.
I haven’t transferred the side ties to the “strap” version yet, but that’s not really an issue, once it all works with the thong, it will work for the “strap” too.