Little by little, progress is happening… But this is going way too slowly.
I was kinda dreading the part where the collar goes over & under, but I’ve cobbled something together that should survive a “glance”. I’m definitely overdoing it on what really is minute details.
Furthermore, I’ve done some quick tests to simulate a 16×48 flexible dot matrix display, potentially for a future cyberpunk-ish project?
I wasted almost two whole days sorting out issues with my brand-new internet access (FTTH yay!). I think I have almost every issue squashed. Now I’m just waiting for a replacement Gigabit Ethernet adapter.
I’ll post a modeling progress update as soon as I have more to show.
The prisoner uniform low-poly model is taking shape!
As with other projects like this one, I really struggle working around those large folds in the geometry. The front looks quite good in my opinion, the back on the other hand is a janky mess and I hate it.
I’ll just keep redoing it until it becomes acceptable.
I’m probably not going to use symmetry, but if I can nail a nice, clean topology on the first half, I will copy it over to the second half, where possible.
I gave Marvelous Designer’s retopology tool another go and… god… it is such an awful tool.
I mean, I get that this isn’t really their specialty, but still.
The pictures I’ve included, are the results, so far of my attempts using RetopoFlow (Try it out, it is quite good https://github.com/CGCookie/retopoflow). Progress is slow, but I feel that the result is a lot smoother than when I did this completely manually.
The surface constrained smoothing tool is especially useful… (when it doesn’t snap to the underside of the original model)
Two things for today’s post:
First, I’m trying to come up with an automatic cell door design, as an add-on to the existing 3×3 cells. I’m thinking about using the open radio protocol to link the door script and the control console, with an option to make it secure, or hack-able. Probably nice industrial mushroom buttons and lights for the control board?
Second, I’ve gone through the prison uniform project (once again!) to try to solve the problems I am having with it. Back to A-pose, less extreme creasing. I’m thinking that this is as good as I can get it with my current skill level. I’ve also added a hem at the bottom of the shirt/top piece and cleaned up a bunch of issues. The sleeves could use some tweaking but other than smoothing the cuffs I’m probably not going to touch them.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween season, Here is some product updates!
This update brings the entire set up-to-date with the current codebase, suspension poses for the thigh and elbow cuffs, RLV activator 2.5, suspension bug fixes, locked sitting, etc…
Patch to a handful of wrist-cuff sets that were missing some of their animations and had incorrect limb tables for some of them, not a critical update but I figured I would push it out anyway.
I’ve also updated the Tasanee collar, updated features like the rest but also a small HUD bug fix (the back ring would not get colored when selecting a metal color) and I also replaced the back ring mesh by one that is easier to click, removing the need for a dedicated clicker prim there.
Only one week remaining before the KDC Halloween specials go away once more, if you were interested in them, now is the time!
It is that time of the year again~.
Time for tricking and treating, and an excuse to embrace the pale moonlight glow once more! I decided to release a day early this year because Saturday seemed just a little too late in the weekend. That and I’ve also been sitting on it for a couple of days now as I severely undershot my planning for once.
As with the past years, all my other Halloween projects these are available for a limited time from October 15th to November 15th (Patreon supporters can get them all for free all year long).
Happy Halloween everyone!
It took quite a bit of fiddling to prevent my nails from clipping through the finger claws, but I eventually got it to work. The texture could be a little darker and/or more contrasted.
I’ve also painted a version with a red base which looked quite decent, more on that later.
I’m thinking of making a few “variants” to minimize the number of separate models used: both hands, left/right hand, both indexes, left/right index… or maybe index + middle finger, or something like that.
There is also the question of adding doodle & strike integration, because… why not?
I sure wish finger claws looked this good in real life 😛
Today was far more productive than I could have ever hoped. I first did all the basic contouring of the different pieces & the pentagram, which I thought was neat, as it nest perfectly below the first segment when the fingers are extended. I wasn’t sure of the rest of the design, and initially tried to make some sort of stag skull with a fancy tendril looking rack, but it wasn’t very good. The second attempt I thought about some sort of stylized scales or a cracked turtle-shell surface but completely messed it up and ended up with some, abstract and thorny vines.
I kept the idea and re-drew it all a third time, and this is where it is at now.
I also wanted something on the backside of the “nails” because of how visible they are and ended up with this sort of stippled surface that reminds me of a nail file. The KDC logo is hidden on the underside, behind the finger joint, making it more visible would look a bit… repetitive when wearing 4 claws on one hand.
I will be out of town tomorrow and most of Thursday, so feel free to give me your opinion!
Unless I/You come up with something better, I’m feeling pretty good about this one as the “final” high-poly version!