Archive for December, 2019
As usual, I’m sick
Sometimes I wonder if I should ask for a different day to visit my family for Christmas, because I always end up catching whatever the kids dragged in that year.
It’s not too bad at the moment so I’m hoping it will resolve itself in a couple of days.
Hopefully before 2020 rolls in -_-.
Lock cutting workbench.
This is something I’ve been meaning to add to the store for a long time, there is now a lock-cutting workbench at the Main KDC Store. While I haven’t really seen anyone abuse the system, this is now available for those who want/need it.
It’s not for sale (but it’s free to use duh) and it’s an experiment, more than anything, it uses a feature that has been part of the system for many years now, but there was no real way to use it without my assistance until now.
I’m open to feedback on whether this is a good idea or not. In the meantime, consider it a relatively lame X-max gift 😛
Maid cap update
Finished a frilly “tiara” style and started a new one.
It should have a “point” in the middle, so more tweaking required.
A handful of maid hats
I was supposed to take a break over Christmas, but I ended up doing a handful of maid hats…
I might end up making a “hat pack” with these. Normal mapped frills work wonderfully on the “pillbox-style” ones, but I haven’t figured a good way to optimize the tiara-style yet.
New patron reward
This is still a bit of an experiment, but I’ve added a reward for my Patreon subscribers: A few extra material for the KDC Meat Market collar.
The Meat Market Collar is out!
They called it the “Meat Market” said the old fisherman…
As we inspected the premises, the thick and moist smell of mold and corroded metal was overpowering. A rotten wooden platform with a circle of stockades was marking the center of the room. The walls were lined with barred alcoves. Slave collars were scattered in every corner, covered in grime and flaking paint.
Clearly the original owner did not tell us the whole story about the “cheap warehouse” we just acquired…
Those collars look and feel absolutely massive, it is safe to assume that comfort and sizing where not part of the design requirements.
Sounds like a great product to add to the KDC line!
Quick feature breakdown:
- Supports (almost) all TouchBound tools & accessories (regular locks, time release, allen keys, heavy, accessories).
- Lock/unlock animations, in the same style as the Fallen Princess collar.
- Comes in 8 colors and 3 “styles”, from “slightly worn out” to “you should really have painted that”.
- (Probably) bug free!
There is also a few quality of life improvements with the removable shackle click override which I need to add to the Fallen Princess too.
And yes, there will be matching “Meat Market cuffs”, that’s a solid yes, but I need a little break…
As usual, you can find it at the KDC Main Store and on the Second Life Marketplace.
Burning the midnight oil
The past couple days have been pretty rough.
- Final meshs lodded and uploaded.
- Reworked the heavy-duty padlocks a little (better lods, center point and smoothing)
- Made and uploaded the “worn out” texture set (8 colors: red, blue, black, yellow, green, pink, white, orange)
- Made and uploaded a “fresh” texture set (same color, still some slight wear but no rust)
- Made an “unpainted” style, it’s very similar to black but a bit more rough and worn out.
- Wrote all the specific code required to make it compatible with regular locks, accessories, time locks, heavy locks AND bolts (every lock type basically).
- It has some little “equip” animations like the Fallen princess and the same removable leaching point idea.
I still have a texture hud to make and some intense testing, just to make sure I don’t have any major bug.
I also have been working on a small gift for my Patreon supporters, but I’ll announce it publicly once it’s actually ready.
Pain in the ass
Honestly, this material is a bit if a pain to render. It’s also the first time I actually need to use a gloss channel on one of my items. I think I’m gonna “try” to clean up my baking setup, save myself some sanity in the process.
I did some testing on the red paint, and a test upload for the shackle & pin assembly.
I also tried to use brass on the shackle, but it didn’t look good at all (there is just something wrong with how the texture renders, compared to the hinge).
I also forgot to triangulate the model before baking it, so I’ll be correcting this too.