Archive for March, 2023

Metal gag texture tests

Other than the metal gag texture tests, I only have boring things to show today. Mostly unwrapping the models that I have finished so far.

I ended up with a weird normal mapping error on the second picture, I’m not sure what triggered it, but I managed to fix it… somehow.

The UV packing isn’t final, these big empty space won’t be in the final version.

Ball gag refinements, PBR and more!

I’ve made what I believe is a “more realistic” version of the ball gag mouthpiece than the original “Toothchipper3000”. I think it has more character like this. I’ve also done more low-poly work on the versions I hadn’t completed yet.

Not only that, but I spent a bit of time in the GLTF PBR (which stands for Physically Based Rendering) viewer beta. To keep it brief, Linden Lab is currently in the process of adding a new type of material in SL that is more in line with current industry standard used in Blender and game engines like Unity & Unreal.

Not only that but it appears that they are finally ditching the legacy rendering mode and materials will be enabled by default. For what I can see “old” materials will coexist just fine with the new ones, and they are improving how textures are handled in memory, since PBR materials have extra texture data for metalness and roughness.

You can see a quick preview of the improvements when rendering things like latex, leather and metallic surfaces.

Steel gag low-poly work

Another update on the steel gag! I’ve moved on to modeling the low-poly version of the parts I’ve completed so far. So that’s the neck bar and two of the mouthpieces.

I’ve gotten a bit of feedback on the other mouthpieces and the big steel ball might be a bit overkill… Therefore, I’m probably going to re-design it with some sort of rubber insert to make it a bit less harsh looking.

Steel gag progress update

A bit of a picture dump for the steel gag project today. Progress has been slow as I’ve been helping with a family move to a new home (so many boxes… exhausting).

It took me several tries to figure out a good way to attach the other mouthpieces until I figured that the best way would be to use the “ball” gag as my reference point rather than the plate I initially made. The first two pictures are some pretty cursed attempts at that…

I’ve got 4 mouthpieces so far:

  • Flat bar with tongue depressor.
  • Ball gag (metal ball? I’m not so sure…)
  • Hollow tube (it isn’t big enough for oral tho).
  • U-shaped bar (really just a big unpleasant tongue depressor).

I’ve also gotten my metal shader to look the way I wanted it, looking quite gooood ~

I started working on a new gag!

Well, a new gag as in “new-ish” since it is an idea I’ve been playing with for a while.

For those who remember, I originally was making a gag like this, which used flat bars that had slots in them, but it kept bothering me. It looked like it would be far too easy to bend (I can’t help it, must make structurally sound items)

I included a handful of early pictures, just to show the evolution. The plain challenge was to find an elegant solution to make the mouthpiece removable, but not once locked in place. I’m relatively happy with the current solution (that little bottom bar that swings out of the way when the gag is opened)

Still not sure about that tongue depressor, the flat variant was nice, but the “loop” is winning at the moment.

Also yeah, I already started adding welds here and there…

Kyrah Abattoir
Creator of BDSM and fetish content in Second Life since 2004.

Seasoned 3D artist and programmer, aspiring video game creator.

March 2023