Archive for November, 2016
Canvas first pass
I’ve done a rough unwrapping of all the pieces and straightened what needed to be. I’ve also reused some of the maps I made for the KDC Institutional straitjacket.
Not entirely sure how I want to proceed, unless I want to blow up the texture budget, there is a pretty big chance that the weave of the fabric will be invisible.
Alternatively, sl does allow to use different repeat values for the diffuse and normal maps so I could use very small but very efficient repeating textures for the diffuse and do most of the detailing in the normal map.
I might also try to come up with different fabric weaves that don’t have to be so fine.
More or less done with creasing.
Enough! Well almost. I might tweak the sleeves a little more later. I’ve detailed the chest and curved straps inward a little too (because tension!), I think it looks “just right”.
More straitjacket crease work
Thinking about it, I cannot remember a recent time when I did crease modeling. The RevosuitX was creased mainly through bump mapping, and I suspect it might go back as far as the Delilah corset.
The front mid-section creasing will be minimal because the fabric should be fairly tight there anyway and because I need to adapt this for flat chests too.
It’s getting a little creasy in here :P
I should kill myself for such a terrible pun.
1st attempt at creasing the lower back, the right side looks better in my opinion. Front seems like it should be. It will be a little trickier to get the pulling force in the right direction around the collar.
Gee, I hope you like straps…
Because I sure feel cured from any strap making urge, at least for a little while.
Backside is best side
On straitjacket anyway, the back is usually fairly interesting detail-wise.
If I’ve done my job well, the right side is clearly going over the left side. A few wild creases appear and I kinda like how they turned out.
I’ve also pulled the back further up, it’s starting to look a bit off-balance but some generous creasing should help explaining why it is riding so high up.
I was gonna start on the buckling straps but I need to make a reference for the friction buckles first.
KDC/Ai Armbinder update
- FIXED: Animation issue: There was a small problem in the armbinder animation causing some unwanted sway when walking.
- ADDED: Avatar names in text messages now use fancy clickable llurl based links.
Straitjacket sleeves refinement
Overall, I think the sleeves look a lot less like they were made like a balloon animal (Again, ignore the really terrible skinweight, I’m only posing this model to check if anything looks out-of-place). I’m especially happy with how the ends look.
I’ve separated a bunch of things to allow me a bit more freedom with the mesh topology.
I’ve pulled the bottom strap further down in the front and a little up in the back… I think it looks good.
I did some work on that shoulder to make it less terrible.
I need to start working on the straps in the back, but I might play a little with the collar shape first before breaking symmetry.
Upper section draft
Alright, things are moving forward, I drafted the upper areas and sleeves. And this is where thing are getting a little tricky.
You can see a “funny” before/after with 2nd and 3rd, I changed the pose between the two and shaped the sleeves a bit but it still looks extremely unappealing to me…
This model “shouldn’t” be rigged, it isn’t really designed for it, but I need some kind of idea of how it will look with the arms folded.
Then we come to the 4th picture showing yet another issue: the arms and the start of the front loop don’t exactly match.
This crusade is gonna take a while…
This is going to look like “déjà vu” for some people, I figured I would include a view of the subdivision cage. Since there are straps in specific places I built the straps first and now I’m basically filling the “gaps”. It’s the easy part, but I already like it, plus I can see a few places where I can easily reenforce the “fabric effects”.
For some reason it looks very leathery at the moment…